Saturday, June 11, 2016

Fixing problems

Good morning everyone!

I went to my support group today. It is always a good experience - listening to others, having a comfortable environment to share and having a supportive environment full of people who have "been there."

I shared about my trials and tribulations this week involving my weight loss progress and mental attitude.  It really helped solidify my resolution. It helped me get really right in my head (to the extent that I am able to, at least) and help me get past my gain.

Also, for the first time, people came up to me after the meeting and thanked me for sharing.  They shared their own experience with the same issue - gaining when you should have lost, gaining despite doing EVERYTHING right, etc - and it really, really felt like I was in my peer group.

Don't get me wrong - before I have felt like these are my peers and my equals - but this felt like a family.  We know what each other are going through and we have felt the pain, disappointment and depression regarding it.

Also, while I was listening to one of the people, I found myself trying to give advice.  It is a no-no during the meeting to "cross-talk" or give advice, but I still did it despite being in this listening group.  The girl actually kind of called me out (not in a bad way) by saying "You don't need to feel like you have to give advice."

That kind of triggered something in my head.

I am a fixer.  I want to fix everyone's problems because maybe that is how I avoid my own problems. This is an issue.

I don't know what right I have to do this.  

I am in no place whatsoever to help people fix their problems.  Firstly, I don't know "their story."  I don't know what really will or won't work for them.  Secondly, I am just as f*cked up.  

I need to focus on my problems.  

It will be difficult, but call me fixer no-more.


Keep on walkin'

1 comment:

  1. A lot of us are fixers. You gave some great insights.

    ReplyDelete